Thursday, March 10, 2011

Creation of the Lightbulb

Hello fellow readers,
Certainly, all of you know that I invented the first incandescent lightbulb. Although it is an amazing feat of engineering and a convenient item to use, it was definitely no easy task to create the object itself. 
I first began my project by using a carbonized paper filament placed within a glass bulb. After hundreds of failures, I was able to get it right and after 10 years, I was able to show the world what I had created and I received a patent in Great Britain for my invention. However, my first lightbulb proved to be very inefficient and lasted for a very short amount of time.
Nearly 15 years after my first prototype lightbulb, I created my second prototype. This time, rather than using a carbonized paper filament, I used a carbonized thread. This change allowed for the lightbulb to be brighter and longer lasting. Also, my new design allowed for minimal residual oxygen to prevent the filament from igniting and burning itself out. With this new and improved version of the incandescent lightbulb, I received a British patent for this model just shy of a year before an American inventor by the name of Thomas Edison received his American patent. 
In order to promote my new invention, I sent the Savoy Theater in London 1,200 light bulbs to light up their stage. They used a generator placed a couple blocks away from the theater to power these lightbulbs. People favored my lightbulbs over the traditional candle lighting because they did not generate heat and omit an awful smell. Not to mention it was much more pleasing to the eye to look at. 



2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Unfortunately I did not have the privilege of being able to use this new device. Oh how my eyes would have been able to see so much clearer with this improvement. My eyes had been strained reading all those documents trying to help my country Ireland. I am shocked I had not gone blind during this time! I am sure the time you had put into creating this was well worth it. How I wish I could have been able to try this, maybe it would have even helped me write better ideas to help the people of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I like the most about science. The ability to discover something new. Your light bulb is so useful to the world right now. My eyesight is perfectly fine because of you. Without your light bulb, I would have to use candles. How troublesome it was. The smell and the burns I would get just because of a little flame. 10 years and hundreds of redos just to get your first prototype right? WOW. Most people would have just stopped. In all, I just wanted to thank you so much for making the world much easier to live in.

    ReplyDelete